In order to experience New Life we need to create a New Normal. What if we experiment with small sacrificial acts and gestures of compassion believing that God can use us AND wants to give us New Life? This “faith experiment” is to help us see needs, opportunities, and our own resources differently.
Creative ways to save money from our daily expenditures:
Consider what simple ways you can save money for a week. Keep a running total of how much you save from your normal operating budget. At the end of the week, we will pool our savings so that together we can practice small acts of compassion and kindness.
- Pass on Starbucks for office or home brewed coffee
- Plan a dinner menu for the week and forgo the Drive-thru or eating out.
- Pack a lunch in lieu of eating out.
- Rent a movie instead of going to the theatre.
- Wash your own car wash.
- Have a friend or spouse trim your hair.
- Change your own car oil.
- Avoid impulse purchases at the checkout stand or gas station.
- Stick with just water if you eat out.
- Skip a lunch meal.
- Avoid the snack bar or concessions.
- Put off a round of golf, happy hour after work, or special outing.
- Use coupons to shop, keep track of what you save.
- Buy sale items, note the savings.
Interrupting our Normal
It’s been proven that if you write something down, we’re more committed to following through. In an effort to express our faith in small-yet-compassionate ways, take a minute to consider what changes in your daily spending that you could adjust over the next week (i.e. bring a lunch vs eating out, buying coffee vs brewing your own, etc.).
What’s an area of spending that you’re willing to make a change (i.e. Starbucks, bag lunches, etc.): __________
Estimate how much savings that could mean over the course of 1 or 2 weeks: _____________
***Another option is to find other small ways to save in daily expenditures and involve your kids. The key will be to keep a running tally of your savings so that we can leverage it together for others. Make notes in your phone or check register during this time. We will collect all monies on Sunday, April 24th.